List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [desktop-discuss] Re: Mugshot and the Online Desktop??
From:       "Brian Gupta" <brian.gupta () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-04-30 4:09:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Forgot to attach audio presentation of Mugshot:

Audio for streaming and download now available at:
http://www.archive.org/details/NYLUG_2007_04_18_General_Meeting

On 4/30/07, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@gmail.com > wrote:

> Features of Mugshot, that are implementation specific: (All three would
> need to be customized for Solaris).
>
> Package management
> Most popular application reporting (Most popular packages)
> Desktop client.
>
> -Brian
>
> On 4/28/07, MC < rac@eastlink.ca> wrote:
> >
> > From: http://log.ometer.com/2007-04.html#3
> >
> > It boils down to central online storage for all your data, and programs
> > on your client to interact with the data.  Which is, in some form or
> > another, the way things will eventually be.
> >
> > I think the key thing is less about building the PC applications, and
> > more about who stores the data and how they do it.  Even though Gnome vs KDE
> > gives me little hope for humanity, building menus isn't really a big
> > deal.  They're just a tiny window into a big world which, in this guy's
> > case, uses his (or Red Hat's?) Mugshot.org web app.
> >
> > As a side note, ideally every programmed solution would have an open and
> > standard API so that every component along the chain of users and providers
> > could interact well.  In that utopia we'd be able to worry about how we use
> > services (back to Gnome vs KDE), rather than how different services interact
> > (do my Ubuntu and Windows desktops access my Facebook friend emails the same
> > way, and do they both share the same list of most frequently used
> > applications, and do those applications include web and client apps, and how
> > does my handheld device access all this, and is it safe to store my
> > documents on service X when service Y can't access it, and...).  Since only
> > half the population gets along with themselves at any given time, it takes
> > some special magic to get good standards set and used.  So the usual
> > solution to the above problem is dictatorship, which presents its own
> > problem in the form of inter-dictatorship-operability.
> >

> > This message posted from opensolaris.org

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

Forgot to attach audio presentation of Mugshot:<br><br>Audio for streaming and \
download now available at:<br><a \
href="http://www.archive.org/details/NYLUG_2007_04_18_General_Meeting" \
target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">

class="gmail_quote">On 4/30/07, <b class="gmail_sendername">Brian Gupta</b> &lt;<a \
href="mailto:brian.gupta@gmail.com" target="_blank" onclick="return \
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> brian.gupta@gmail.com
</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid \
rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Features of \
Mugshot, that are implementation specific: (All three would need to be customized for \
class="gmail_sendername">MC</b> &lt;<a href="mailto:rac@eastlink.ca" target="_blank" \
onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> rac@eastlink.ca</a>&gt; \
From: <a href="http://log.ometer.com/2007-04.html#3" target="_blank" onclick="return \
boils down to central online storage for all your data, and programs on your client \
to interact with the data.&nbsp;&nbsp;Which is, in some form or another, the way \
things will eventually be. <br><br>I think the key thing is less about building the \
PC applications, and more about who stores the data and how they do \
it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even though Gnome vs KDE gives me little hope for humanity, building \
menus isn&#39;t really a big deal.&nbsp;&nbsp;They&#39;re just a tiny window into a \
big world which, in this guy&#39;s case, uses his (or Red Hat&#39;s?)  <a \
href="http://Mugshot.org" target="_blank" onclick="return \
note, ideally every programmed solution would have an open and standard API so that \
every component along the chain of users and providers could interact \
well.&nbsp;&nbsp;In that utopia we&#39;d be able to worry about how we use services \
(back to Gnome vs KDE), rather than how different services interact (do my Ubuntu and \
Windows desktops access my Facebook friend emails the same way, and do they both \
share the same list of most frequently used applications, and do those applications \
include web and client apps, and how does my handheld device access all this, and is \
it safe to store my documents on service X when service Y can&#39;t access it, \
and...).&nbsp;&nbsp;Since only half the population gets along with themselves at any \
given time, it takes some special magic to get good standards set and \
used.&nbsp;&nbsp;So the usual solution to the above problem is dictatorship, which \