List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    [desktop-discuss] Re: [osol-discuss] Could we have XFCE/KDE in the
From:       Darren J Moffat <Darren.Moffat () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2007-04-24 14:54:04

Manish Chakravarty wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Could we have XFCE/KDE in the next OpenSolaris build

If you wish to have an OpenSolaris related discussion on this I highly
suggest that desktop-discuss@opensolaris.org is the appropriate alias
and please look at what is going on in the desktop community first:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/desktop  or more specifically:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/desktop/communities/kde
and
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/desktop/communities/xfce/
and
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/xfce/

Now which distribution are you talking about ?

If this is Sun's Solaris Express releases then the answer is no, not for
the next build because that just isn't enough time (builds are done
every two weeks).

However it could be possible to do this if you or someone else is
willing to do the work to integrate them into Sun's Solaris
distribution.  In the case of KDE I highly suspect his means creating a
new consolidation which is a non trivial amount of work.

The very important thing that would need to be done is actually
convincing Sun's marketing that they should include KDE in Solaris
Express.  This is something that is best addressed directly with Sun not
on this OpenSolaris alias I'm afraid.  This would be similar to
convincing any Linux distribution to include multiple DEs - some do and
some don't.

On the other hand if what you want is a distribution based on
OpenSolaris that uses KDE then that already exists in the form of Belenix.

Hope this helps explain the situation and your choices.

--
Darren J Moffat