List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    [desktop-discuss] Re: [website-discuss] jds-commits-list :: new
From:       Glynn.Foster () Sun ! COM (Glynn Foster)
Date:       2005-09-08 15:34:51

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 11:08 -0700, Stephen Hahn wrote:
> * Mike Kupfer <kupfer@athyra.eng.sun.com> [2005-09-08 10:59]:
> >
> > Glynn> It's also a useful forum for complaining about patches being
> > Glynn> checked in ;)
> >
> > Do you really want the same list for commit announcements and
> > discussion?  I suppose it depends on the size of the community...
>
>   A related question:  if you were to have a project development alias
>   (as opposed to the community one), would you expect commit
>   announcements go there?  Or would you want multiple aliases always.
>   (Another, perhaps more modern, option is to construct an RSS page and
>   upload it yourself (which I've been debating building from the ON
>   commit notifications).)

So the number of commits going to our sources is pretty huge - you can
generally expect to have between 10 and 20 commits a day. When we start
bumping up the version of GNOME, say, that can rocket to well over 50 ;)

Having that separation between project development discussion, and
commits is useful. I'm not sure I'm completely convinced with the RSS
idea, as it doesn't really give a mechanism for providing feedback.
That's probably as much a difference in process that the JDS team takes
where we commit first, review later during an unstable development
cycle. Although, there's nothing to stop you doing an RSS feed in
parallel.

>   That is, we're discussing constructing "project" support for the
>   website, so jds-discuss or jds-dev would be an automatic outcome of a
>   project's creation.

Sounds useful to me alright.

Glynn