List:       opensolaris-companion-discuss
Subject:    [companion-discuss] Collaborative porting encyclopedia experiment
From:       Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2006-12-14 15:56:24

Seeking comments...

The following is intended to be a prototype of a collaborative
freeware/FOSS porting encyclopedia (aka, recipe book).

     http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Porting_FOSS_applications

There were two main catalysts for this:

- Many moons ago Keith Wesolowski and I were talking about how Solaris
   lacks a porting knowledgebase.

- Open build systems (such as the spec-file based JDS system) are a source
   of consolidated, structured (consistently formatted) metadata, providing
   an ideal pool of raw material.

I've also been journaling in my blog about this lately.

Finally, it should be noted what this is *not* about: It is not about
creating a new ports repository, nor is it about package/install formats.
It is only about port*ing*.

-Eric