List:       opensolaris-code
Subject:    Re: [osol-code] Installing compiler in Solaris-10
From:       Dennis Clarke <dclarke () blastwave ! org>
Date:       2011-03-23 15:09:44

> Hi All,
>
>  I just installed the Solaris 10,by default there is no compiler installed
> on it.
>
> if I type cc I get the  following message.Could you please help in
> installing
> the compiler
> *
> /usr/usb/cc :language optional software package is not installed,*

You would do well to install GCC. There is a gcc ( old and musty ) in
/usr/sfw/bin on Solaris 10 but you can get a very up to date set of tool
from Blastwave.

Just do this ( as root ) :

(1) go somewhere "safe" on your filesystem.
# cd /tmp

(2) fetch the pkgutil tool :
# /usr/sfw/bin/wget http://download.blastwave.org/csw/pkgutil_`/sbin/uname
-p`.pkg

(3) install it
# pkgadd -d /tmp/pkgutil_`/sbin/uname -p`.pkg

(4) remove the package from /tmp
# rm /tmp/pkgutil_`/sbin/uname -p`.pkg

(5) fetch the catalog
# /opt/csw/bin/pkgutil --catalog

(6) install GCC 4.5.1
# /opt/csw/bin/pkgutil --install gcc4

(7) Set your PATH to allow you to run gcc
# PATH=/opt/csw/gcc4/bin:$PATH
# export PATH

done.

If you want to install Sun Studio 11 or 12 I think you can download them
but then Oracle has made it impossible to patch them. Well, not
impossible, just hell. So while the Sun studio compilers are vastly
superior in many ways they are not worth the money anymore unless you
follow the development bible written by Daryl Gove. ( an awesome book by
the way )

anyways, use gcc.

--
Dennis Clarke