List:       opensolaris-code
Subject:    [osol-code] setting process priority with nice() command
From:       "Alex B." <box2go () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-07 4:09:30

Hello,

It's necessary for me to change the priority of my application's process from the \
code. I try to use the nice() function to set the priority and priocntl() to read the \
current process' priority, but I get priority=0 before the nice() and priority=19 \
after the nice() without respect to the argument I pass to nice().  What do I do \
wrong?

int GetPriority(void)
{
pcnice_t niceSet;
int rc;

niceSet.pc_op = PC_GETNICE;
if(-1 == priocntl(P_PID, getpid(), PC_DONICE, &niceSet))
rc = -1;
else
rc = niceSet.pc_val;

return rc;
}

int main()
{
int newPriority, currentPriority;

newPriority = 27;

currentPriority = GetPriority();
printf("default priority = %d\n", currentPriority);

nice(newPriority);

currentPriority = GetPriority();
printf("new priority = %d\n", currentPriority);

return 0;
}