List:       opensolaris-code
Subject:    Re: [osol-code] An Additional "Lint" for OpenSolaris - Coverity
From:       Rob Clark <rob1weld () aol ! com>
Date:       2008-08-05 10:33:40

> > Rob Clark wrote:
> > Could we offer them a free copy of the source, maybe 90% of the profit ...  :)

> > > James Carlson wrote:
> > > I don't think I understand, as the source itself is already public (so
> > > they have it for free if they want it).  ....

You (we) are giving the source out for free. If they want to check it for free
that is great. If not we can try elsewhere (as others have suggested).

> > > James Carlson wrote:
> > > On the plus side, there are nuggets of gold buried in the voluminous
> > > reports generated. The question is whether you want to invest your
> > > time and money into eyeballing those (and teaching all developers how
> > > to cope with slow run times and complicated output), or put more
> > > effort into traditional design and code reviews.

> > Rob Clark wrote:
> > We don't need to give "all" developers access.

> > > James Carlson wrote:
> > > I think you do.  If you don't, then the code tends to rot over time,
> > > and integrations become difficult if not impossible.
> > > Having a dedicated group that runs some source checking tool and files
> > > bugs on its results sounds possible in theory, but then we're no
> > > longer really talking about something like lint ... instead, it's more
> > > like a testing service.  That's still possible, but it's a different
> > > class of solution, and the financial trade-offs are against other
> > > forms of testing.

While it is great that we check our own code before submitting it a better
program results from someone else checking your code.

Why did Sun open source the Solaris OS?
http://opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/general_faq/
There are many reasons for the decision:
    * A community development model creates opportunities for collaboration between \
                Sun and the developer and user community.

> > Ask for volunteers and then a few of the core Sun OpenSolaris developers can pick
> > a half dozen people and assign them to that group.
>
> > > I think you'd still have to find a way to fund this project.

If you don't want me to be a free volunteer then I'll be a paid volunteer - no \
argument.

> > As for the "run times" it does not run on _our_ computers is my understanding.
>
> > > True, but the run time is still important.  A lint tool that adds an extra hour \
> > > to  the build is annoying but tolerable for last-build-before-integration.
> > > A tool that takes 24 hours or more to turn in full results is just not usable \
> > > by  most developers.

This is why I suggest a group of checkers give new code the once over with one of the \
tools  before committing new code to a release. It might speed up the extremely long \
acceptance  procedure complained about by a prior poster in this thread (I don't want \
to misspell their  name or misquote them). If it is painful to get your bug fixes \
implemented or your suggestions  heard then you will be creating bit-rot (people rot) \
and, unless your paying, people will bail.

> > > It's not the sort f thing that I think is likely to turn up as a
> > > 'nightly' option, and thus not something that will be used often.

It does not go in 'nightly' and would run continuously.

> > > This sort of thing happens over at linux and gcc -- but they have a
> > > larger user base in the bugzilla.
>
> > Knock yourself out.  ;-}

Does my post need a second reading?