List:       opensolaris-code
Subject:    Re: [osol-code] C++ keywords in Solaris headers
From:       James Carlson <james.d.carlson () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-08-01 11:57:31

Rob Clark writes:
> > Some are clearly required for standards compliance or are parts of
> > publicly documented proprietary interfaces.  Many, however, represent
> > internal implementation artifacts and have no supported and
> > customer-usable content.
>
> If you run naked through the park I only must shield my children's eyes.
> That does not mean I want to look, then again, perhaps I do.

I think you may have missed the point of the message I sent.

My suggestion was to put the "unnecessary" headers into separate
packages.  That's all.  I'm not suggesting removal or obscuration of
anything.

Those who like to have that kind of swill on their systems can
continue to install it.  That great majority who do not need it will
get some of their bytes back by omitting it.

The underlying problem is that ON has some huge packages (such as
SUNWhea) with undifferentiated masses of files inside.  In many cases,
you can't pick and choose what you want.  You get everything or
nothing.  That's what I'd like to see fixed.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson@sun.com>