List:       opensolaris-code
Subject:    [osol-code] Monitoring screen content when in text mode.
From:       dave () mielke ! cc (Dave Mielke)
Date:       2005-10-11 15:40:17

[quoted lines by Alexander Kolbasov on 2005/10/11 at 15:10 -0700]

>Unless you need to monitor the console output, seems like GNU screen provides
>a lot of the functionality - it has complete control of what is displayed on
>the screen. It even allows you to multiplex between several terminal screens.

no, that won't do. For a blind user to gain the most amount of independence, we
need to be able to provide him with screen content as early as possible during
the boot sequence. He should be able to handle boot problems on his own, and he
shouldn't need to log in "blindly" either.

BRLTTY already works well with screen, but that, of course, only gives him
independence after he's gotten logged in and started screen. We'd like to
achieve on Solaris what we already do on Linux, i.e. start BRLTTY as a
background process right at the start of the boot sequence. The way we monitor
the screen content on Linux is via the /dev/vcsa* devices. I don't think
Solaris has those, but I'm hoping there's an equivalent way. At the very least,
I'm assuming that an image of the screen content does exist somewhere in the
kernel's memory, and that that image can be located and read via something like
/dev/kmem.

EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.