List:       opensolaris-brandz-discuss
Subject:    [brandz-discuss] Linux vsyscall support on X64
From:       "Wei Shen" <cquark () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-04-30 10:34:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi all,

I meet some difficulty to add support for Linux vsyscall in lx64 brand.

Linux kernel (2.4.21 used by Centos 3.X) maps the kernel code of
vgettimeofday and vtime to address 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF600000 and
0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF600400 respectively, and Glibc directly "call
*0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF600000" to invoke the gettimeofday system call, so to
avoid user/kernel context switches.

Then, are these two addresses free to use in Solaris. If so, how to retain
and map them; if not, I am afraid it may be impossible to support Centos 3.X
(Glibc-2.3.2) applications transparently on the X64 platform.

Wei Shen