List:       opensolaris-brandz-discuss
Subject:    Re: [brandz-discuss] [desktop-discuss]  X11 proxy in BrandZ
From:       Edward Pilatowicz <edward.pilatowicz () sun ! com>
Date:       2007-10-08 22:59:39

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 11:48:10AM +0200, Mario Goebbels wrote:
> > there isn't right now, but that's what we're talking about.  ;)
> >
> > basically think of it as ssh -X forwarding for zlogin.
> > similarly to how ssh creates a /tmp/.X11-* socket for it's
> > remote connections, there's no reason that zlogin couldn't do
> > the same.  ie.  when you zlogin it creates a /tmp/.X11-* socket
> > within the non-global zone, set the DISPLAY variable and xauth
> > info to point to that socket, and then forwards the connection
> > to that socket to the X server running in the global zone.  (which
> > would of course be via the /tmp/.X11-* socket in the global zone.)
> >
> > am i making any sense?  :)
>
> I suppose what you mean is that zlogin is going to put up a Unix socket
> in the local zone and remap it to the global zone, right? None of the
> TCP business doing unnecessary work (like fragmentation, checksumming,
> etc blah blah).

yep.  although i just realized that what i was thinking probably won't work
with the proposed X11 shared memory extensions since the zlogin process
would be acting as a relay, and hence a getpeercred() issued by the
Xserver would return info for the zlogin process and not the X11
application.  not sure how to fix that...  somehow we'd actually need
to get the pipe in the global zone connected to the one in the local
zone...  hm.

ed