List:       opensolaris-brandz-discuss
Subject:    Re: [brandz-discuss] When will BrandZ support Ubuntu?
From:       Nils Nieuwejaar <nils.nieuwejaar () sun ! com>
Date:       2006-05-31 15:08:45

On Wed 05/31/06 at 15:34 PM, Constantin.Gonzalez@Sun.COM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since we're now good friends with Ubuntu, when will BrandZ officially
> support it?

No - at least no time soon.  Ubuntu is fairly aggressive about keeping up
with the latest Linux bits, and we are very much the opposite.  For the
officially released and supported product we are deliberately emulating an
older and more stable platform.  Ubuntu is already running on a
2.6.something_big kernel and we are still at 2.4.21.

I can imagine having an unsupported, OpenSolaris-only version that attempts
to emulate a much newer kernel which would allow us to run Ubuntu, but we
don't have any real plans in that direction.

Nils