List:       opensolaris-arc-discuss
Subject:    Re: [arc-discuss] [docs-discuss] New Developer Checklist
From:       John Plocher <John.Plocher () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-03-10 19:52:04

Michelle Olson wrote:
> > Maybe my search foo sucks, but I can't for example find the difference between \
> > PSARC and normal ARC after 30 minutes of searching the ARC site. The glossary \
> > would be a good place for such definitions IMHO.

PSARC is the name of one of Sun's internal ARCs - it focuses on Platform Software.
Others include LSARC - layered software and middleware and web services, and FWARC
(for firmware related stuff).  Together they are "the ARC"; individually they are
simply the way we distribute and scale the review process; the number and scope
of XXARCs change regularly over time as needs change.

There is a nascent ARC CG project that will be addressing the question of "what is
the relationship of the ARC community to the rest of the OpenSolaris effort?";
keep an eye out for it soon after the election is over - and please, feel free to
join us.

> > I did however find a typo on http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/
> > This link:
> > http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/faq/arc-review-overview
> > should say:
> > http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/arc-faq/arc-review-overview

Thanks, fixed.

> > The docs for ARC are kind of messy and repetitive. They keep coming back to the \
> > same diagram and occasionally providing a bit more insight below it (or that's my \
> > impression). They also have things like "mail internal Sun alias" in them and a \
> > reference to not yet having an SCM.

This is one of the things this new project is intended to address.

   -John