List:       opensolaris-appliances-discuss
Subject:    Re: [appliances-discuss] [sysadmin-discuss] Deliverables for
From:       Brandorr <brandorr () opensolaris ! org>
Date:       2007-10-02 15:55:03

On 10/1/07, Sangeeta Misra <Sangeeta.Misra@sun.com> wrote:
> Peter Tribble wrote:
> > On 9/30/07, Sangeeta Misra <Sangeeta.Misra@sun.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Any others? Also I would like feedback on network monitoring ( what
> >>about nagios) and data mining tools that you think Solaris should have.
> >

> > I see no value in having nagios shipped as part of Solaris. Indeed with
> > any version of any OS. For people who aren't running nagios it would be
> > of no interest. If I was running nagios I would expect to define a common
> > standardized install and push that out to all my systems. In that case,
> > any version that came with the OS simply need to be removed.
> >
> > You can replace nagios with any other network-wide system monitoring
> > solution that places any agents onto the monitored system.
> >
> > (The case is slightly different if you have something that is abstracted
> > away into a standard over-the-wire protocol, like snmp, where you absolutely
> > do want the OS itself to provide it. I don't use snmp much, although on Solaris
> > that's largely been due to awful implementations in the past, with horrors
> > like SNM and SEA.)
> >

> BTW, the reason I brought up nagios is out of a need for a good
> gui-based network monitoring  and system manangement tools, that is
> important to have for building appliances. In general I think Solaris
> needs tools for data mining, data packet inspection and interface, CPU
> memory utilization stats.

Thinking about it, I do think a Nagios project could make sense, but
because it is for the most part agentless, I don't think the base
package should be installed as part of the OS core. (Most likely a
future optional repository package.)

Currently, at work, we have reached a point where Nagios is more
useful to us than SunMC, so if we were to standardize around Nagios,
you wouldn't hear any complaining from me. (We still do run both as
there isn't yet 100% overlap)

> I would like to have us use opensource tools that is tightly integrated
> into Solaris, but I would also be interested to hear the communities
> input on what they think on this issue, and if there is any interest in
> developing such tools for Solaris
>
> Sangeeta

- Brian Gupta

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/nycosug/