List:       opensolaris-appliances-discuss
Subject:    [appliances-discuss] Re:  Re: How to build a NAS box
From:       robin.mcdonald () sun ! com (Robin McDonald)
Date:       2006-01-27 1:11:37

> as well so that only one machine need to be kept
> powered-on;
> this keeps the power bill more reasonable.

The only achilles I can see for an opensolaris NAS box is the power consumption cost \
for an always on server

looking at http://www.pge.com/tariffs/ERS.SHTML#ERS
It looks like 12c per KWH that come out very close to $1 per watt per year
So if you spend say $500 on a box but it consumes 200W you will
spend more on electricity over 3 years than on the hardware!

> I'm using Samba to export the various filesystems to
> the
> rest of the family's PCs/Macs; this is part of
> Solaris.
> Right now I'm running build 30.
>
> I'm currently putting together some info on this,
> including
> power consumption, etc, along w/ some prelim.
> performance

Cool keep us posted
     Robin

--
This messages posted from opensolaris.org