List:       opensolaris-announce
Subject:    [osol-announce] Introducing the OpenSolaris Immigrants Community
From:       benr () cuddletech ! com (Ben Rockwood)
Date:       2006-03-30 12:43:57

I'm pleased to announce that the OpenSolaris Immigrants Community is now
open!

This community is tasked specifically with helping ease the burden and
retraining frustrations of migration to or exploration
 of OpenSolaris.  We hope to foster a friendly and professional
environment where experienced administrators, users, and developers can
explore Solaris & OpenSolaris.

Coming from another OS, such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux, AIX, HP-UX,
etc, can be frustrating particularly because you know what you want to
do, just not how to do it.  Here we will help answer those questions and
provide the community as a whole with information, documentation, and
resources to ease that transition to what we believe is a platform that
offers far more features and functionality than available elsewhere.  We
strongly believe that simply because you are new to Solaris/OpenSolaris
doesn't mean you should be treated disrespectfully (as a "n00b") or
given UNIX 101.  Even simple tasks can be annoying when your learning
now things work on a new platform, and we want to find these areas and
address them promptly, for the benefit of all.  Remember, if something
is difficult or odd for you its probably difficult and odd for others as
well, so share your insights, questions and observations to help
yourself and others.

I encourage anyone who's struggling to make the adjustment to post to
our discussion list with your questions.  If you're thinking about
making the switch from some other platform but have questions before you
do, this is the perfect place to ask!  And if your already an
OpenSolaris expert but enjoy talking with new users and helping
intellegent and experienced users make the switch, I welcome you to help
out and join this excellent evangelism opportunity by assisting other users.

Lets be honest, even if there was a perfect OS you'd still slam your
fists against it at first while you learned how it worked.  Lets all
work together and help each other learn, grow, and ultimately contribute
to this great project.

Visit our community here:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/immigrants/
Post to our discussion list here:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/immigrants/discussions/

Thank You.

Ben Rockwood & The OS-Immigrants Community