List:       opensolaris-announce
Subject:    [osol-announce] March 7th meeting of the OS-GLUG, Univ. of Chicago
From:       boutilier () speakeasy ! net (boutilier)
Date:       2006-03-06 16:04:30

> The group has voted to have next Tuesday's meeting
> (March 7th, 7pm) at the University of Chicago Graduate
> School of Business (http://gsb.uchicago.edu/).
>
> Details forthcoming.

Here is a roll-up of the 3 messages detailing the location,
directions, agenda, and other information.

Subject: [ug-glug] March 7th Meeting
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:53:15 -0600
To: ug-glug@opensolaris.org
From: "Young, Darren" <Darren.Young@ChicagoGSB.edu>

Everyone -

Here are the details for the March 7th meeting at the University of
Chicago Graduate School of Business. The address is 5807 S. Woodlawn
Ave, Chicago, IL 60637.

Some "official" maps and directions:
  - http://maps.uchicago.edu/hydepark.shtml
  - http://www.chicagogsb.edu/visit/hydepark/map.aspx
  - http://maps.uchicago.edu/directions/car.shtml
  - http://maps.uchicago.edu/campus.shtml

>From the city (or I-55), take Lake Shore Drive south to the 57th Street
exit (the museum exit). Follow that around for 2 blocks but note that
once it veers south it becomes Cornell Ave. Keep following that as it
veers to the right again and turns into Midway Plaisance Drive. Continue
on "the midway" for 8 blocks until you reach Woodlawn Ave and turn right
(heading north). The building is on the east side of Woodlawn just south
of 58th street. Mapquest and Google return decent directions from other
areas.

Another option is to take the Dan Ryan south to the Garfield/55th street
exit. Stay on the right side of the street which turns to Morgan Drive
as it wanders though Washington Park. Keep following that until you pass
the hospital and hit Midway Plaisance Drive heading east. Continue on
that until you come to Woodlawn (about 5 blocks) and turn left heading
north to the GSB building.

If you're coming in on the Metra Electric line, take the UC/59th Street
stop, that will place you just west of Stony Island Ave on 59th street.
>From there walk west 6 blocks to Woodlawn then north to the GSB
building. From the Michigan Ave station to 59th is around a 20 minute
ride and quite inexpensive. If you take this option the GSB runs a van
service from the building here to the 59th street station every day from
5 to 10 PM. It's for staff and faculty but all I have to do is call in a
pickup and they'll drop you off there.

There is an L (red line I believe) stop by the Dan Ryan and from there
you can cab here. If several people would be coming together this way we
could probably arrange one of us with a vehicle to make a pickup.
However, it is more than a mile away in a so-so area so most people that
train in take the Metra Electric (hint hint, it is the south side).

Parking is available along Midway Plaisance Drive as well as on
Woodlawn, 59th and 58th. Note that Woodlawn is a 2-way street but 58th
is 1-way heading west (to University Ave). Unfortunately, I was unable
to work with security this late to obtain building parking, but it could
be done in the future.

No matter which way you get here, you can't miss the building, it's 5
floors and almost all glass. See this page for pictures of the building
but really, you can't miss it.
http://www.chicagogsb.edu/about/index.aspx

The main entrance to the building is on the NW corner, the one on
Woodlawn and 58th Street. Come through the glass doors there to the
security desk (the big round one). They'll know about the event and can
show you where the meeting room is located. If you get a guard that's
not sure what you're talking about, it's room 219.

The room is reserved from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM but the building and labs
are open until 10 PM on weekdays. Feel free to come early if you'd like,
we'll probably be able to have access as early as 6 PM. If you do show
before 7 PM, give the guard my name and they'll phone me so I can come
get you.

Wireless access is available here, however there isn't enough time to
provision accounts for people. So, if anyone needs 'net access I was
planning on throwing a small switch in there so people can plug in. No
accounts necessary for that to work. Sorry, have to use that annoying
*cable* thing. Oh, and if you do want to plug be sure you have a
firewall installed locally as there is *no* firewall on our public
networks.

We've arranged for (8) 4' tables with 3 chairs each that way people can
take notes, set up laptops, etc as well as a projector for presenters
(and spare tables and chairs). There is a cafeteria in the building
that's open until 9:30 and serves decent food and Starbuck's coffee.

If you have any questions, need more details or if I've left anything
out, feel free to email me directly.

Thanks and I look forward to this!

Darren Young
Senior UNIX Admin

Subject: [ug-glug] Guest Speaker at Next OpenSolaris Meeting, March 7
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 13:23:24 -0600
To: ug-glug@opensolaris.org
From: Chip Bennett <cbennett@laurustech.com>

At the next OpenSolaris GLUG meeting, March 7, 7PM, Jim Fiori, engineer
from Sun Microsystems, will be one of our speakers.  Jim is visiting us
while doing a presentation on DTrace for the March Sun breakfast meeting.

However, Jim's presentation to us will be different material from the
Sun meetings.  Understanding that there probably won't be time to cover
all of these subjects, Jim is prepared to cover any of the following
topics at our meeting, depending on the direction the group dynamics
drives the discussion.

  1. How to approach problems with DTrace
  2. DTrace Implementation Details
  3. DTrace Case Studies (actual customer engagements)
  4. USDT example (adding probes to your application)
  5. More on DTrace Futures (over and above what's presented at the Sun
     meeting)
  6. Tuning the T2000 for UDP-intensive application using Nevada:
         * Nemo project (GLDv3, link aggregation)
         * Yosemite project (FireEngine for UDP)
         * Soft rings project (for spreading interrupt processing)
         * DTrace scripts used for this tuning effort

Hope to see you there!

Chip Bennett

Subject: [ug-glug] Presentation at Next OpenSolaris Meeting, March 7
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:37:11 -0600
To: ug-glug@opensolaris.org
From: Russell Rezaian <rrezaian@email.mot.com>

Hello all,

Just another announcement.  We also plan to have the first part of a
series of short presentations on the Service Management Framework at
this coming meeting.

I'll be presenting on the SMF, starting out with a quick overview of
what SMF is, and why it was developed.  I also intend to give the
start of a short overview of how to use SMF.

Future presentations will go into more detail on actually building services.

SMF is the part of Solaris that replaces the familiar SVR4 style "rc
scripts" with a more powerful and flexible framework.  SMF improves
system boot time, and provides  more robust way of making sure OS
services are not only started but kept in service too.

If you've ever written an rc script you should find SMF interesting!
If you haven't ever written an rc script you're still welcome to join
in!
--
Russell Rezaian