List:       opensim-users
Subject:    Re: [Opensim-users] OpenSim and Multi-core/Multi-processor Systems
From:       Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-28 23:04:48

I would say more cores will give you great but diminishing returns.  It's practically \
impossible, for instance, to run  OpenSimulator in any serious way with a single \
core.  And the old rule of thumb was to have a minimum of two cores and  one core per \
region [1], though this was before the performance improvements in 0.7.6 and also \
depends heavily on how  much physics/avatar/script load the region has.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Performance#CPU

On 28/04/14 15:47, Maxwell, Douglas wrote:
> Hi Austin,  the reason I recommend you configure multiple processors for MIAB is \
> because of all the different processes running in the VM.  In addition to OpenSim, \
> there is Apache, MySQL, etc...  The extra processors help balance load.
> The only time I've seen multiprocessor systems benefit OpenSim was with our DGS \
> experiments.  Currently your best bet for performance enhancement with regular \
> OpenSimulator is with vertical scaling (faster computer).  Hope this helps.
> Douglas Maxwell, MSME
> Science and Technology Manager
> Virtual World Strategic Applications
> U.S. Army Research Lab
> Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
> (c) (407) 242-0209
> NEW DoD Email:  Douglas.Maxwell3.civ@mail.mil

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting