List:       opensim-users
Subject:    Re: [Opensim-users] what version of collada is expected by various standard viewers & opensim
From:       Dr Ramesh Ramloll <r.ramloll () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-07-06 14:18:16

Thanks John, Dahlia,
I think I get it, I cannot obviously model the situation in my head
because of many factors that am sure am missing. But overall, I think
it is like a raw data compression issue for optimal its optimal
transmission down a constrained pipe. So in this case, mesh is
analogous to raw data. The optimizing process when done manually will
look like cutting down intelligently a large mesh into smaller
repeatable parts and send each part down the pipe and instructions to
reassemble them at client. Because the reassembly is cheaper than if
the whole mesh object were to be pushed down. What users may see is a
complex world appearing more quickly. Thanks again for the
explanations.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Dahlia Trimble <dahliatrimble@gmail.com> wrote:
> you cant really compare number of "object downloads" to number of "mesh
> downloads" as meshes can grow very large in size and memory requirements
> where object downloads are very small and fast. There's also a negative
> impact in simulator physics and memory when using very complex or large
> meshes. Of course if your meshes are phantom then sim impact will be less.
>

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM, John Sheridan <john@pseudospace.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dr. Ramloll,
>>
>> You would probably get a better benefit if you were to upload a few
>> different variations.  For example: a single plant, a 10x10 patch of joined
>> plants, a 20x20 patch, and so on.  Each of the three variations if
>> duplicated in world would only be downloaded once and you would have the
>> flexibility to cover a variety of different areas in different sizes more
>> efficiently.
>>
>> In regard to prim counts, if you were to upload a single plant and then
>> build your patch in world you would likely be using far more prims than you
>> would if you uploaded a pre-joined patch.  So, not counting for vertex
>> counts and all the other goodies that come from a land impact calculation -
>> the following would hold true.
>>
>> 1 plant    = 1 prim     = 1 mesh download, 1 object download
>> 10 plants (linked in world) = 10 prims = 1 mesh download, 10 object
>> downloads
>> 10 linked plant patches = 100 prims = 1 mesh download, 100 object
>> downloads
>> 1 patch (10 plants joined in mesh before import) = 1 prim = 1 mesh
>> download, 1 object download
>> 10 mesh patches = 10 prims = 1 mesh download, 10 object downloads
>>
>> The theory being that the mesh download is much larger than the object
>> download.  The mesh download contains the mesh's geometry, textures, texture
>> maps, and so on wherein the object download contains such things as the
>> object's position in world, the id of the mesh, textures, and so on that are
>> applied to it.
>>
>> I hope this helps.  :)
>>

>>  - John / Orion Pseudo
>>
>> On 07/05/2013 10:07 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Dahlia,
>>> If I understand you correctly, if I upload a grass plant in mesh and
>>> then just multiple copy it inworld, it would not make a difference if
>>> made a grass patch in mesh and then uploaded it. Let me know, am kind
>>> of dabbling with this issue right now. Am thinking in the way for
>>> leaves in a tree.

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile