List:       opensim-users
Subject:    Re: [Opensim-users] A Way To "Physically" or "Locally" Embed A Video?
From:       Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2013-02-22 23:31:08

I'm afraid the only way you can reference video, afaik, is via URL.

In principle, one could possibly allow OpenSimulator to serve files from a directory \
using its built-in C# webserver  (like Apache, etc.).  One could then add an extra \
section to an OAR which could contain files that would automatically  uncompress to \
that directory.  Scripts could then simply reference that simulator's public network \
address in URLs.

This would be simpler than having to set up an additional webserver but would place \
more stress on the simulator, which  is a very significant tradeoff.

On 21/02/13 08:33, len@lenwbrown.com wrote:
> Unless I'm mistaken, I know I cannot "import" a video to be used in-world, but...
>
> I've used video-on-a-prim for years and always used a referral URL for the video \
> file called from my own hosted website.  However, I'm working on a project that has \
> some short video clips along with slides and the usual fluff for an interactive \
> in-world tutorial.
> I'd like the video clips to be embedded somehow so they are not called from a \
> web-based URL.
> Is there a way for me to place these video clips locally within an OpenSim folder, \
> for example, and have them called from there to play in-world?  I understand that I \
> can't include the video clips themselves in an OAR, unless I'm mistaken.  But if I \
> can at least include them in a pre-configured OpenSim folder (like Diva Distro) and \
> offer that as a zip file it would be really great.
>
> The video files themselves are small and only add about 30 megs max to the overall \
> size of the final product if I can get this to work.  I just don't want them hosted \
> elsewhere in the event there's a future issue with that host, thereby making them \
> inaccessible in-world.
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting