List:       opensim-users
Subject:    Re: [Opensim-users] Touch to open by other users not working?
From:       Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-29 23:36:45

The IAR library load mechanism isn't in OpenSimulator at this point - I believe it's \
only in the Diva Distro currently.

Three seems to be some general problem with library objects at the moment, though \
this may only relate to scripts.

Another radical solution is to turn off permissions entirely via

serverside_object_permissions = true

in [Startup] in OpenSim.ini but I suspect this is used rarely enough where some bugs \
may lurk and is probably too  radical for what Ramesh needs.

On 29/10/12 03:04, dz wrote:

> There is a much simpler OpenSim solution, unless there is some OTHER REASON to \
> teach the student about interacting with "BUY" objects.
>
> Put the uniforms in the grid library.
> Everyone in the grid should be able to drag the uniform folder from the library to \
> inventory and wear.
> I believe there have been recent advances that allow IAR files to be added directly \
> to the grid library.
> I would generate an avatar that has all of the inventory items a new student would \
> need, generate the IAR file for that avatar, and add it
> to the grid library..
>
> It may be confusing to explain that they can't wear things directly out of the \
> library, and have to copy it to inventory first, but I find that teaching them to \
> look in the library for things they may need is a LOT easier than sending them to \
> find and interact with unfamiliar in-world objects.
>

> > On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <r.ramloll@gmail.com \
> > <mailto:r.ramloll@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the use case: Students logs in, and need to wear uniform. They
> > > are not Second Life users, don't want to buy anything, just wear the
> > > uniform and proceed to do their task. After they do their thing, they
> > > will never ever log into the environment again. Aim here is to go in,
> > > do you stuff in a team and get out with minimal number of things to
> > > learn etc...
> > > While I understand that Second Life *expects* prior knowledge of a
> > > certain kind which grew based on the trajectory of the environment, it
> > > might not be helpful to project this expectation on the 'casual' user
> > > because this usually leads to things that they need to learn before
> > > they actually get to do things they need to (which I equate to user
> > > interface noise).
> > > Ramesh

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting