List:       opensim-users
Subject:    [Opensim-users]  accelerometer joystick flycam not returning to 0
From:       cjohndavies () gmail ! com (CJ Davies)
Date:       2012-03-23 14:34:30

I have an accelerometer attached to an Arduino set up to act as a
standard USB HID joystick that can be used by an OpenSim viewer. The
idea is that when you tilt the accelerometer up/down the camera tilts
the same amount. I am using flycam atm because it doesn't seem that you
can enable '3D cursor' in 'avatar' mode.

When the accelerometer is laying flat, it sends a value of around 0 on
its Y axis, which is hooked into the pitch mapping of the OpenSim
client's joystick control. When the accelerometer is titled upwards, the
flycam pitches up & when the accelerometer is tilted downwards, the
flycam pitches down. All good so far!

When the accelerometer is returned to laying flat from being tilted up
or down, it outputs ~0 on the Y axis & the flycam should return to
'level' (eg looking straight forward, parallel to the ground). This is
where the problem lies. If I tilt the accelerometer up & back to level
several times, the 'level' position slowly raises, so that after a few
tilts the flycam is pointing up into the sky when the accelerometer is
held level. This happens if I tilt downwards & return to level a few
times too, but much worse.

I have tried all sorts of values in the joystick & camera options but
can't find anything that effects this issue. Pitch deadzone is set to 0,
I have tried changing feathering, the pitch scale, camera transition
time, camera smoothing, all to no avail.

I have tried the accelerometer joystick in Imprudence & Firestorm, in
case it was client-specific, but both exhibit the same behaviour.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Regards,
CJ Davies