List:       opensim-users
Subject:    [Opensim-users] Room management application
From:       toni () playsign ! net (Toni Alatalo)
Date:       2011-04-30 13:02:37

On Sat, 2011-04-30 at 00:59 +0100, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> also be created directly from region modules though this is currently a little \
> tricky.  I don't know of any good example  public code but the regression test code \
> might be worth looking at.

Well the region module I pointed to is one example -- it is a bit tricky
indeed, dealing with the SOP/SOGs etc, but not awful.

> Personally, I would recommend this approach if you're familiar with C# and don't \
> mind spending quite a lot of time  looking through OpenSim code (and asking \
> questions).  The advantage over scripts is that there are no delays or any need  to \
> perform synchronization between operations that occur on different script engine \
> threads.  Also, one gets to use all

I think the biggest advantage of region modules over LSL is that the
application code can just have all the scene objects (walls of the room
etc) and all the functionality directly accessible, instead of making
multiple separated LSL scripts for the different parts and then using
chat messages for their interplay etc.

Markus managed by reading some example codes and the API docs, iirc
didn't ask questions nor complain much :)

> the power of C# and a good IDE.  One can implement sophisticated applications this \
> way without using scripts at all, or  one can use a hybrid script + region module \
> approach.

If someone is wondering how the example I pointed to is a .py file, it's
because .NET is a multilang system so if you prefer something else to C#
there are alternatives. The API is the same, you're still just calling
the opensim code c# stuff directly, there are no bindings or anything
like that. Erno wrote a py regionmodule loader for opensim earlier and
Markus used it then for his module, the py module loader addon to
opensim is hosted by Melanie at
https://github.com/MelanieT/opensim-modules/tree/master/xpython
nowadays.

Is nice if you like py, and also has the advantage over current c#
region module system that getting your modified module to run doesn't
require restarting Opensim .. can just use a console command to reload
the py module. The repo has an example module, and we're happy to help
if someone else wants to use this,
https://github.com/MelanieT/opensim-modules/blob/master/xpython/bin/samplemodule.py

But C# is also a really nice lang, and indeed the good IDEs for it help
greatly in diving in the OpenSim code. I've used a C# IDE & py editor
side by side, IDE to explore the code, get tab-completion etc., and then
when find the right func, copy-paste it to the py app code, and reload
changed code to see it live running on Opensim :)

> The advantage of scripts is that one can port them to other hosts without requiring \
> server access.  And if one sticks to  LL functions then one can port them to Linden \
> Lab's grid (though there are some gotchas due to subtle differences  between the \
> XEngine script engine, the parser for LSL on OpenSim and the Linden Labs \
> implementation of these things).

Yep, region modules are an option only when you have direct server
access (and I think most practical when devving on a local server).

MRMs by Adam were an interesting effort to get kind a kind of a
scripting like toolset for region modules -- c# modules but in a safe
sandbox, with remote editing without access to server, and live reloads
that didn't require a server restart. I don't know if the old MRM stuff
is functional still, didn't find docs with quick googling and this blog
is not answering to me now .. http://www.adamfrisby.com/blog/tag/mrm/

~Toni