List:       opensim-users
Subject:    [Opensim-users] NAT & Corporate Firewall
From:       jjustincc () googlemail ! com (Justin Clark-Casey)
Date:       2011-03-31 23:43:57

 From my understanding of the code, using 0.0.0.0 will make the UDP listen to the \
'most appropriate' IP address as  assigned to the server's NICs (see \
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.sockets.socket.bind.aspx,  \
IPAddress.Any = 0.0.0.0).

On a machine with just one NIC this should be fine.  But on a machine with two NICs \
I'm guessing you would really want  to explicitly state the right address.

The internal address is used to bind the UDP listener.  However, the client is told \
to connect to the external host name  (if this or the port is incorrect then the \
client connection will timeout on the 'connecting to region' bit).

Confusingly, the 'internal port' is used for both the internal UDP listener and is \
passed to the client as the external  connection port.

Some people on Stack Overflow think that IPAddress.Any means listen on all NICs
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1777629/how-to-listen-on-multiple-ip-addresses).  \
But my reading of the MS SDK  reference above means that it only binds to one.  \
Anybody able to comment on this?

And does anybody actually use a non 0.0.0.0 internal address and in what context?  \
I'd really like to clear up my  understanding of this so that we can improve the \
instructions.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog