List:       opensim-users
Subject:    [Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] Recommended Approach for Voice for Opensim
From:       antont () kyperjokki ! fi (Toni Alatalo)
Date:       2010-07-29 7:06:25

On ti, 2010-07-27 at 19:52 +0100, Ai Austin wrote:
> I wonder if another open source and high quality voice solution
> should be the bass from people's experience?  opensim-users may be
> the better place to discuss that as the user base there might be

We are using Mumble quite happily within RealXtend, the existing server
code as is and then the client side have integrated to the Naali viewer.
An OpenSim module tells the client where the mumble channel for the
region is. People have been happy with the voice quality and the server
is afaik easy to set up.

It might be quite easy to write a slvoice replacement that talks Mumble,
to be used with the Linden based viewers (like Hippo and Imprudence and
friends), as slvoice is a separate little app that the viewer talks
with. We haven't done that 'cause are not using slviewer for other
reasons, but is I think option for people who need the slviewer
featureset otherwise. Perhaps something from the Naali mumble client
module code could be reused for that, or at least directly the mumblelib
that we use too.

I find it's also nice that people with the normal mumble client can join
in without needing a full viewer. Though I guess that work with
freeswitch too if that's some SIP thing, dunno.

~Toni