List:       opensim-users
Subject:    [Opensim-users] A word to jokers (WAS: poll:favorite virtual world platform)
From:       eekee57 () fastmail ! fm (Ethan Grammatikidis)
Date:       2009-05-25 20:07:33

Thom, you're really only doing yourself a disservice here. Such strong words won't \
help you persuade anybody with any internet experience, to be frank, and besides, \
anger and bitterness are bad for the heart.

On the other hand it was good to read the beginning of that imohax article. It shows \
how risky unsolicited avatar manipulation is, and reminded me of all the people who \
genuinely can't get out and who rely on virtual worlds for a huge slice of life they \
would otherwise have no access to.

Let me take only my own position. I can get out a little, but attempting any kind of \
worthwhile "life" in the real world has me feeling like I've been dragged through \
thornbushes for hours, and that pleasant feeling can last for more than a week after \
I quit trying. This is not lightweight stuff, and a practical joke is very different \
from the vast majority of bugs, as I'll explain at the end.

As a result of years of good friendship and company over 3 years in Second Life and \
the seemingly minor experience of owning and building my own homes I have learned \
life lessons and gained real skills that 30 years of "Real Life" failed to teach me. \
My real-world experience has even benefitted greatly from my second life: when I \
joined I couldn't step out of the house without panic making me want to scream, but \
now there's no panic at all, it's completely gone. It's the security of having my SL \
home to come back to that did it. No matter how temporary, no matter that I never \
finished any of my homes, it was a little anchor that enabled me to settle down just \
enough to begin to heal.

That healing process isn't finished, but Linden Labs modus operandi and pricing alike \
threaten to ruin me. I quite desperately need an alternative, and a world full of \
people who only want to talk about building & code is not enough. Sun Wonderland and \
Open Cobalt are aimed at business meetings and collaboration, Open Croquet is just a \
toolkit (but aimed at business collab anyway), and all I've heard about RealExtend \
places emphasis on building the shinies. As much as I'm attracted to alternative \
technologies it's not the technology that I really need. The only options for myself \
that I can see right now are friendly grids such as Reaction Grid and Legend City \
Online, and the only such grids I know exist are based on OpenSim. Granted I'm not \
very good at searching.

So, to get down to the metal, can I take a joke? Yeah, on a good day. On an average \
day it'll leave me shaking for, ooh, only a few hours. Good days are rare. If I wake \
up feeling a little weak and in need of companionship, I turn to the only place I can \
get it. I'm not going to notice if it's April the 1st before I log in. What's going \
to happen if I log in to find something important to me damaged? In the very best \
case it will take me days to recover. Now of course bugs can and will 'break' my \
nerves from time to time, but bugs aren't so likely to crop up out of the blue...

I had 3 sims on OSGrid of all places, nightlies I upgraded when I felt like it at \
that, but in 2 or 3 months no bug affected me this way at all. As far as my nerves go \
that's a better track record than SL, and that's OSGrid and nightly builds we're \
talking about! That avatar stretching would hit my nerves. Any joke would because \
it's *designed* to get at people.

On Mon, 25 May 2009 17:49:09 +0100
"Thom King" <thomking at operamail.com> wrote:

> The malicious code was in the recommended release code, not just "Trunk".
> The lie that the malicious code was only in trunk is one of the despicable lies \
> that the criminals are using to try to cover up their criminal hacking activity. \
> Some of the criminals acts of suppression and censorship are mentioned in the \
> discussion here:
> http://imohax.com/2009/04/01/opensim-youre-losin-me-punking-is-for-punks/

Ethan Grammatikidis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer