List:       opensim-users
Subject:    [Opensim-users] load-tile syntax?
From:       suz () balsasluts ! org (Miss Suzhanna Rossini)
Date:       2008-05-16 7:03:17

> One might request that you could point the rest of us who have
> not-so-great google-fu to the appropriate answer?
>
> One would appreciate it. :)
>
> -Kyle H
>
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Miss Suzhanna Rossini
> <suz at balsasluts.org> wrote:
> > > I just don't understand the 'terrain load-tile' syntax... It seems
> like
> > > no matter how I try, nothing at all happens.
> > > I downloaded the 3x3-island.raw file from the opensimulator.org
> site,
> > > and I'm aiming to use it on a 9-region setup in 3 different blocks.
> > >
> > > The regions are placed like this:
> > > 3 3 3
> > > 2 2 2
> > > 1 1 1
> > >
> > > How do I load the mid part of the terrain file to the regions on
> > > simulator 2?
> > > I tried like 'terrain load-tile 3x3-island.raw 768 768 0 256' and
> > > 'terrain load-tile 3x3-island.raw 3 3 0 1' ..
> > > Nothing happens, nothing at all... My thought was to use the file
> for
> > > all 3 simulators to populate all the 9 regions coherently, but I
> just
> > > can't get it to work.
> > >
> > > Advice anyone, please?
> > > Suz
> >

> > After a whole LOT of Googling, I found the solution.. Thanks to
> whoever posted their findings in their blogs!
> >
> > My next question is about OpenSim.ini.. Which are the absolute
> minimum configuration lines needed for a simulator that connects to a
> grid?
> > My guess would be the URLs for the grid servers, and not much more,
> am I right about that?

I'm happy to share Kyle.. ;-)
I just forgot about it when posting, sorry..

Anyway, first of all, the terrain file *must* be a RAW file, then it also *must* have \
the file extension .r32 (tested .raw, didn't work..).

Then the syntax is just as described in the documentation, but the numbers to use are \
not as many describe them, apparently it's been changed recently.

In my case I have a terrain file measuring 768x768 pixels, made for a 3x3 region \
grid, the grid layout is as I described initially, laid out on 3 simulators (1, 2 & \
3) as this: 3 3 3
2 2 2
1 1 1

The "lowest" position (SW) is located at 2000,2000 in the grid.

What confused me most was how to figure out how the load-tile should figure out how \
to map the tiles onto the regions correctly and seamlessly. It was easier than I \
thought.. ;-)

On ALL THREE of the simulators, I use this: "terrain load-tile 3x3-island.r32 3 3 \
2000 2000" The numbers after the file name are "file width in TILES", "file height in \
TILES" (Not pixels, but in region tiles..), then where ON THE ENTIRE GRID the \
starting point of the layout is, in my case my SW region, placed at 2000,2000 in the \
grid.

The load-tile function figures out from and to what points in the terrain file it \
should start mapping to the regions at hand, after all, all regions "knows" where in \
the grid they are.. ;-)

I hope this helps.. I thought I'd post it in the opensimulator wiki as well, but I \
just don't understand the wiki syntax.. So if anyone reading this do know how to work \
it, feel free to post it, I'm sure someone can be helped!

Hugs etc..
Suz.