List:       opensim-dev
Subject:    [Opensim-dev] Threading strategy
From:       stefan () tribalmedia ! se (Stefan Andersson)
Date:       2007-09-24 19:48:07

Just to be exact : the application pool is a per-process thing; one application can \
run many regions. This is the source of the current situation where one client can \
hog 9 threads in the application - one for each region it's connected to. Which will \
scale VERY poorly.
So yeah; moving towards 'units of work' and one shared threadpool would be a good \
thing for many reasons.
/Stefan

From: tleiades@hotmail.comTo: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deDate: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 \
18:16:01 +0200Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Threading strategy

Hi

> How would the thread pool help ? IMHO the threads should be per-region, not \
> per-client - then the number of threads would be quite limited.Ok, I can see that I \
> may not have been clear in my communications, sorry about that. What I was trying \
> to say was that, IMO is this:

1) I think that the current codebase, having a lot of different strategies for \
handling threading is makes the code harder to read. 2) That Threadpools, were \
designed into the .NET framework, to assist in creating multithreaded applications, \
without introducing the overhead of an application having a lot of threads (creating, \
destroying and switching threads)
To my knowledge, each application domain has a separate threadpool, consequently I \
believe that the threadpool is a per-region thing.
/Tleiades