List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Re: PHP and GD
From:       Torsten Homeyer <tho () homeyert ! de>
Date:       2007-09-24 14:59:29

Hi Ralf,

Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007, Torsten Homeyer wrote:
>> could somebody enlight me, why libgd instead of the GD library coming
>> with the PHP package is used when building with "with_gd yes"?
>> Especially since there seem to be some differencess between those two.
>
> We usually always prefer the external package.

Yes I seem to remember that we tried quiet hard to get rid of the
internal libraries to minimize the efforts of security engineering.

> What particular problem are you faced with, Torsten?

One of our customers is requesting the functionality of some calls that
only seem to exist in the GD lib supplied with PHP. At the moment he is
asking for "imagefilter".
But anyway the cust in question is still on Apache1.3 so I hacked the
package locally to include an additional option
"with_mod_php_gd_native", which if additionally supplied will enable the
internal GD lib. This will eventually work until we migrate the customer
to Apache2. But then we will face the same Problem again.
Adding such flag to current would complicate security engineering, so
eventually best is to keep it local to our environment.

Regards,
	Torsten

--
Torsten Homeyer                                      tho@homeyert.de
                                             http://www.homeyert.net

"No I don't want to comment. I think you guys are confusing
everything quite nicely all by yourselves."