List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Re: Support for Enterprise GNU/Linux distributions (was: OpenPKG Registry launched)
From:       Bernhard Reiter <bernhard.reiter () intevation ! de>
Date:       2005-12-18 19:10:24

Am Freitag, 16. Dezember 2005 16:34 schrieb Ralf S. Engelschall:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > This is a problem for customers. They want to have
> > a tested Linux (the kernel) and core technologies (like libc,
> > filesystem) with certification for a hardware. Now RedHat, Mandriva or
> > Novell are charging for this _and_ the applications, like Postfix.
> >
> > So if I buy Redhat and then use OpenPKG, I am paying for something that I
> > do not use, and would like to pay OpenPKG for. Just additionally paying
> > for OpenPKG makes this far more expensive of course.
> >
> > It is not easy to solve this.
>
> Yes, good catch. You're fully right, because of the stand-alone and
> self-contained approach of OpenPKG some (already paid) parts of the
> underlying OS are no longer needed. That's a problem but that's the
> price of being a cross-platform solution.

Technically this is completey clear to me,
I am thinking about how to establish a long term model
for OpenPKG and this means establishing a business for it.
I agree with Adam here.

As I wrote as answer to Bill, this is more a problem of the other vendors
not offering an unbundled offer for the base that OpenPKG needs.
It hurts OpenPKG.
Actually OpenPKG trying to be a more stable (=less maintenance; higher
reliability) solution for unix-administrator.
Thus a longer end-of-live policy seems adequate to me.

For my Kolab customers I go around and look for a combination of
Hardware + Host Operating System + OpenPKG + Kolab Server
It is possible to get Hardware and Host Operating System
with a 5 to 7 year support. So OpenPKG's 6 month look really bad in
this context.

Again I cannot say what to do. Maybe being more careful with announceing
full support and guarenteeing updates. (There is a relation to the OpenLDAP
thread: Would updates db 4.2 -> db 4.3 work?)

Bernhard