List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Re: Upgrading openpkg with .openpkg/build
From:       Thomas Lotterer <thl () dev ! de ! cw ! com>
Date:       2004-10-21 6:56:41

Re Aaron!

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004, Aaron Bostick wrote:
> [...] I have discovered I can upgrade my hosts to newer releases just
> by changing the index build uses when curling for packages.
>
> For example, every host has .openpkg/build with something like this in
> it:
> -f ftp://myrsyncserver/release/2.0/00INDEX.rdf
>
> So running openpkg build -Ua | sh - will upgrade 2.0 packages.

This is a good approach to get UPDs within a release which are most
likely security related and sometimes minor fixes. We take great care
to keep changed packages compatible with previous versions so updating
is a nobrainer in almost all cases. In the more recent history we tried
to avoid changing configuration files on UPDs to avoid creation of
".rpmsave" backup files.

> So if I want to upgrade to 2.1, I just change the .openpkg/build file
> to say:
> -f ftp://myrsyncserver/release/2.1/00INDEX.rdf
>
> Then I run openpkg build -Ua | sh - and it recompiles everything under
> the new release.

This will switch to a new RELEASE which might introduce all kinds of
trouble due to incompatible changes in vendor applications and OpenPKG
itself. Do not try this unattended. Yesterday we reanimated the good
old upgrade [1] document to give a guideline for a "Typical practice
upgrading to a new OpenPKG RELEASE".

> I've upgraded a couple systems so far with this method with no
> problems.  Are there any glaring issues [...]
You find all the gory details in the "Release Notes" [2]. The good news
is that there are no known issues within the 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 2.2 path with
prevent you from doing your "fast upgrade". This is no promise for the
future. And if you want to see an example where this kind of upgrade
would have failed browse the relase notes for 1.3 -> 2.0 upgrade (we had
reasons to increment the major number).

[1] http://cvs.openpkg.org/openpkg-re/upgrade.txt
[2] http://cvs.openpkg.org/openpkg-re/releasenotes.txt

--