List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Re: Problem with TMPDIR in OpenPKG cvs package
From:       Dave Dykstra <dwd () drdykstra ! us>
Date:       2003-05-06 13:28:43

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 02:30:12PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2003, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> > On Mon, May 05, 2003, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> >
> > > When I build the OpenPKG cvs package, the default internal temporary
> > > directory is being set to /RPM/TMP, and later some user commands
> > > fail because that directory is not world-writable.  It turns out that the
> > > cvs configure is looking for the environment variable  which is
> > > being set by OpenPKG rpm.  There are many ways to work around this but I
> > > don't know which way is best.  For now I have editted the %build statement
> > > in my own copy of cvs.spec to do "unset TMPDIR" before calling configure.
> > > Another solution would be to add --with-tmpdir=/tmp to the configure
> > > command line.  Perhaps the best solution would be for rpm to not export
> > > that variable to the build step, because that would avoid similar problems
> > > in other packages.    Anybody else have an opinion?
> >
> > This was already fixed with the --with-tmpdir option in -CURRENT. I'll
> > merge this fix onto 1-STABLE and 1.2-SOLID later today and then you have
> > it fixed for OpenPKG 1.2.
>
> Ok, I've merged the bugfix and rolled cvs-1.11.5-1.2.1.src.rpm
> which you can find under ftp://ftp.openpkg.org/release/1.2/UPD/.

I see your solution is to create a separate %{l_prefix}/var/cvs/tmp
directory.  Is there code somewhere to clean out old files in that
directory in case of system crashes during the middle of an operation?
There may be but it isn't obvious to me in cvs.spec.  Why not just
use /tmp?  That has an advantage of being a ram disk on a lot of systems.

- Dave