List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Re: imake / libxpm
From:       "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse () engelschall ! com>
Date:       2003-01-04 11:47:00

In article <20030102021347.GE18082@baerlap.north.de> you wrote:

> What is the best way to handle packages that use imake ?

First, you should require the virtual package "X11" which in turn is
"x11". Then you should query the x11_xxx flags the way packages like gtk
etc. do. See there for details. Then...

> First:
> Under Solaris i have to mess around with /usr/openwin/lib/config/site.def
> and (at least for Solaris 8) with /usr/openwin/lib/config/sun.cf.
> In site.def i had to define
> #define HasSunC NO
> #define HasGcc2 YES
> #define MakeCmd gmake
> and in sun.cf i had to remove (comment out)
> #define HasSunC YES

Do never change any vendor files, please. All you are allowed to do is
to change the sources of the package you're building. There you can
hack wild, but anything outside is not ok. So, in this case I would add
the above "#define"s to the local Imagefile. This should be sufficient,
shouldn't it?

> Rpm configure/build works for me, but the install would go to the system
> dirs. I tried to mess around with ProjectRoot, BinDir, UsrLibDir etc.
> but this affects too many other places.
>
> Using "$(DESTDIR)", which is respected in the Makefiles, still leads
> to Paths like "%{l_prefix}/usr/openwin/{bin,lib,include}" etc.

Then $(DESTDIR) is not respected ;-) Please make sure that
you at least used DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{l_prefix}...

> Oh, yes, and where is the right place for X11 binaries at all ?
> In "${l_prefix}/bin", in "${l_prefix}/bin/X11",... or where ?
> I would vote for .../bin/X11 .../lib/X11 and .../include/X11.

For X11 stuff (especially libraries) to work smoothly with other apps, I
would say:

%{l_prefix}/bin
%{l_prefix}/include/X11
%{l_prefix}/lib/X11
%{l_prefix}/man/manX/

> Could this be solved with an OpenPKG specific imake or xmkmf ?

I don't think we need a specific imake executable. I should be
sufficient to override the right variables for imake in the package.

> For now, i wrote a crude hack that transforms the directory hierarchy
> after installation with "$(DESTDIR)". But that is probably not the
> right solution. Especially when it comes to find the files again.
>
> I'll attach my current version of a libxpm snippet and welcome any
> comment.

I've already looked at it. I've currently no clue how we can
avoid the installation path fixing by forcing X11's Imake to
ProjectRoot=%{l_prefix}. It always complains to me about redifinition of
ProjectRoot. I'm investigating.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com