List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Re: makeproxy - was RE: openpkg newbie trying to build rt from curren t
From:       "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse () engelschall ! com>
Date:       2002-11-18 8:05:18

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002, Andrews, Martin wrote:

> Well, I love a challenge. Thanks for the info on package classes in current
> (I had seen the Junk tag but thought all the current packages had it). I
> guess I will pursue rt under the local tree first.

Yes, but RT is really a nightmair when it comes to the myriad of
required Perl modules. I guess you need at least all of our perl-xxx
stuff plus more....

> While I have your attention - I am a little uncertain about "rpm
> --makeproxy". My current homebrew package system lets me select per
> package/host whether I want the software locally installed or linked to an
> NFS volume. It looks like makeproxy will let me do that with openpkg.

Basically, yes.

> The only strange thing is that the links point to exactly the same openpkg tree
> - for example if my tree is /opt/openpkg then after installing the proxy gcc
> rpm into the tree the link for bin/gcc would point to /opt/openpkg/bin/gcc
> too - a circular link.

Wait, PROXY packages are not installed into the same hierarchy for which
they are derived. The procedure actually is:

$ <master>/bin/rpm --rebuild ftp://ftp.openpkg.org/current/SRC/foo-X-Y.src.rpm
$ cd <client>/RPM/PKG
$ <client>/bin/rpm --makeproxy <master>/RPM/PKG/foo-*.rpm
$ <client>/bin/rpm -Uvh <client>/RPM/PKG/foo-*.rpm

So, you use the RPM from the client hierarchy to build a proxy package
for it by referencing the binary RPM from the master hierarchy. And the
proxy package then is installed into the client hierarchy. This way you
do not get any circular references.

> I would want it to point to something like
> /automount/openpkg-sparc64-solaris2.9/bin/gcc.o

Then you have to use the above with <client> == /opt/openpkg and
<master> = /automount/openpkg-sparc64-solaris2.9/bin/gcc.

> I see that all the links are
> indirect through a .prefix-gcc link - am I supposed to override that link
> after installing? The .prefix-gcc link does not appear to be tagged as a
> config file. Or is there another option to --makeproxy that specifies where
> the prefix link should point? The latter seems ideal to me.

Hmmmm... yes, my intention in the past was that the indirection allows
manual diversion to a different master hierarchy. Making it %config I
think will not work with RPM. Where the link points to is the <master>
above.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com