List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Re: pdflib and samba on Solaris 8
From:       David Brownlee <davidb () wrq ! com>
Date:       2002-11-14 22:24:20

Sorry, I had to step away from this for a while.

Michael Schloh von Bennewitz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002, David Brownlee wrote:
> That's right. The goal with OpenPKG is a (almost totally) self hosting
> environment as you describe. Bootstrapping from a zero state will always
> require some special technique such as using binary packages or the
> Solaris native delevopment environment. However, your two phase idea is
> the cleanest way and should work very well. If not, then there is a bug
> somewhere that I don't know about. The requirements to bootstrap OpenPKG
> from either a source or binary package are documented in:
>
>   http://www.openpkg.org/doc/handbook/openpkg.html#bstrap-sfware

Yes, but the requirements are vague.  In this case, it says I need ld but
does NOT say that I need the ld provided with Solaris that lives in
/usr/ccs/bin.  One might assume that using ld from OpenPKG's binary RPM of
of binutils would work with OpenPKG's binary RPM of gcc and use that
combination to rebuild 1.1 packages from source.  However, this combination
doesn't work for some packages using the OpenPKG binaries for Solaris 8.

> I don't think so. The tools 'ld', 'nm', 'ar', 'as', and 'cc' are implicit
> requirements of many OpenPKG packages. If these tools are served by a
> OpenPKG instance or some other non-native means is perfectly fine.
> However, if building 'ld' dependent packages uses a 'ld' that you don't
> prefer (or doesn't exist) then there must be a reason for this logic. I
> suspect that your build of gcc is at fault, as it hardcodes the path to
> 'ld' and then uses it in later even if you install another ld somewhere
> else. It should be clear if my suspicion is true once you try rebuilding
> gcc *after* installing binutils *and* using the 'with_binutils' option.

Right, except that it is NOT *my* build of gcc.  It is gcc from the OpenPKG
binary RPM that has /usr/ccs/bin/ld hardcoded in it.

> It would be much more satisfying if it all worked without renaming
> /usr/ccs.save. In any case, /usr/ccs is where some required software
> resides (like 'ld' and 'nm' when building binutils), so I wouldn't leave
> it that way.

Agreed.  Leaving /usr/ccs renamed did break other packages although
binutils, gcc and make built fine.  I started again from scratch and
rebuilt gcc from source with /usr/ccs named correctly and using the
"with_binutils" switch you suggested.  That fixed the gcc/ld problem...

...except for samba.  Building samba from source still tries to use
/usr/ccs/bin/ld instead of /cw/bin/ld.  There is no "with_*" switch in the
samba spec file except for PAM support and I didn't see a way to add one
since there doesn't appear to be a ./configure option for it in the samba
source tarball.  I worked around the problem by renaming /usr/ccs/bin/ld
just while building samba.  Still, I would like to know how it was created
for the 1.1 binary RPM.  Was it built on a host without SUNWtoo installed?

Anyway, I have a workaround and I'm back on track.  Thanks for all your
help!