List:       openpkg-users
Subject:    Re: Problems with some packages
From:       "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse () engelschall ! com>
Date:       2002-01-22 13:52:42

Yes, see http://www.openpkg.org/faq.html#no-shlib

> This
> breaks a lot of stuff I wanted to add as packages.

This I do not understand. I can only think about a few very strange
DSO-situations (a DSO wants to link about a library and it is not PIC and the
linked is not capable of correctly relocating it on-the-fly). But this happens
only in a few (also strange) applications like Apache. Ok, I know, partly my
fault because I invented the DSO mechanism in Apache... ;)

> Especially in the case
> of the dev libraries, like sasl or pth, packages using that break since
> they gt unresolved dependencies on solaris.

Then something different is broken for you. If you get "unresolved symbol" it
doesn't find the library at all, or ranlib was not run on a ranlib-based
system, etc. But this has nothing to do with static vs. shared AFAIK.

> I patched the spec files to
> exclude --disable shared, but still would like to know why it is done like
> that in the first place ? Is ther a particular reason for that ?

Yes, I tried to summary it now in see http://www.openpkg.org/faq.html#no-shlib
Nevertheless I still do not understand why removing --disable-shared helped
you. Can you give more details about your situation?

> I also found some no go's in current packages if used on solaris. WHre
> should I sent the patched spec to ?

Just send them to openpkg-dev@openpkg.org and/or submit a Bug Report in the
BugDB, etc.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall