List:       openpkg-dev
Subject:    Re: Build Environment Settings
From:       "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse () openpkg ! org>
Date:       2005-12-21 7:54:29

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005, Doug Summers wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed up builds, particularly
> on AIX? Running on fairly new, multiprocessor RS/6000's it takes me 3-4
> hours to build GCC, but on a single-processor 1000MHZ RedHat Linux
> machine it takes a hour tops. Same thing with Solaris, Sparc or X86. The
> comparisons I'm running shouldn't be close as the Solaris & Linux
> machines I'm using are circa 2000 whereas the AIX machines are 1-2 years
> old.

Look into the file <prefix>/lib/openpkg/rpmtool. There is a section
"mflags" where for particular operating systems the number of CPUs is
determined, the make variant is determined, and according to those two
information the flags for a "parallel make" procedure is activated. If
you add a section there for AIX most packages (those using "%{l_mflags
-O}") will build with parallel make procedures. If it works, please
contribute back the section you added.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com