List:       openpkg-dev
Subject:    Re: Multiple Apache instance packages?
From:       Bill Campbell <bill () celestial ! com>
Date:       2005-05-15 22:22:40

On Sat, May 14, 2005, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Sat, May 14, 2005, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>> There are some packages (e.g. horde, webcollab, sql-ledger, etc.) where it
>> would be useful to be able to install multiple instances under a single
>> OpenPKG instance.  The ones I've come across generally are web applications
>> that run under apache, and run under their own director(y|ies) with the
>> appropriate Apache configuration files.
>>
>> One way to do this would be to have an option containing a list of
>> installation directories, and have the %install portion of the SPEC file
>> loop through these.  Another might have the installation directories
>> specified in a file on the system, and an option pointing to that file.
>> This file could be in the %{l_prefix}/etc/package directory, and specified
>> as %config(noreplace) (which would requir some pre-installation work before
>> installing the first time).
>>
>> The Apache configuration could be simplified by adding a single include
>> spec (Include "%{l_prefix}/etc/apache/package/*.conf") with each instance
>> having its own file in the directory to eliminate the necessity of editing
>> a single configuration file.
>
>The idea with something like 'Include
>"%{l_prefix}/etc/apache/apache.d/*.conf"' is a good one, as it is
>similar to the %{l_prefix}/etc/rc.d/rc.* approach.

I started doing this for virtual hosting files about ten years ago.

Amongst the advantages are that it makes it easy to localize errors in the
configuration files, and one can temporarily disable something by simply
gzip'ing the file in the directory and restarting apache.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``It's time to feed the hogs''