List:       openpkg-dev
Subject:    Re: Python Release 2.2 and CURRENT vs Berkeley DB.
From:       Bill Campbell <bill () celestial ! com>
Date:       2005-03-08 3:33:43

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005, Bill Campbell wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 05, 2005, Bill Campbell wrote:
>>I found that the python package in Release 2.3 and CURRENT isn't
>>building the bsddb, Berkeley Database, Module as the _bsddb.c
>>file isn't compatible with db-4.3.  Unfortunately this isn't
>>obvious during the build process as it requires careful perusal
>>of the python build output to see which, if any, Modules didn't
>>build properly.
>>
>>I tried fixing this myself, looking at the perl Berkeley module,
>>but couldn't get it to work properly.  I then tried by using the
>>_bsddb.c module from the current python CVS.  This built, but
>>then failed when attempting to access a cache.db file created
>>using the openpkg-tools index program (a patch file is attached).
>
>I meant to defer this, not send it to the list, since I'm trying
>further testing to see if there's a binary incompatibility with
>files created on the previous version of the Berkeley DB package.
>
>Given the number of packages that depend on the Berkeley DB
>packages, perl-db, python, mysql, openldap, postfix, etc., and the
>history of binary incompatibilities with the databases, I think it's
>extremely important to make sure that any issues are resolved and
>documented before changing the db package.

I did some more testing on this on a system that's basically OpenPKG
Release 2.3 with a few CURRENT packages that require frequent updating
(e.g. clamav, spamassassin, etc.).  The version I build by copying the
_bsddb.c file from the current CVS failed with the traceback attached here.

Today I tried what is probably an extreme measure, and patched the python
tree with the current CVS tree which now works, but may well introduce
other issues.  This built, and seems to work OK, at least as far as the
bsddb module is concerned.

I backed off from that a bit as that was really python-2.5.alpha something
or other.  I did a cvs checkout on the release24-maint tag, which I presume
is basically maintenance.  After some fiddling with the python.spec file,
largely to debug the failing install, I have a working source package at
URI below.  The patch file is rather large, so I'm not going to post it to
a mailing list.

ftp://ftp.celestial.com/private/ftp.openpkg.org/release/2.3/SRC/python-2.4-20050307.src.rpm

I would like to suggest that in interests of stability on the OpenPKG
Release 2.3 tree, that the Berkeley db package be back dated to the
db-4.2.52.2-2.2.0.src.rpm version.  I would like to see another cycle of
testing in the CURRENT tree before declaring this stable.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer from poor people in rich
countries to rich people in poor countries -- Douglas Casey

["python.traceback" (text/plain)]

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/root/lbin/opkgcachedump.py", line 52, in ?
    db = anydbm.open('cache.db')
  File "/home/csoft/suse90/lib/python/anydbm.py", line 83, in open
    return mod.open(file, flag, mode)
  File "/home/csoft/suse90/lib/python/dbhash.py", line 16, in open
    return bsddb.hashopen(file, flag, mode)
  File "/home/csoft/suse90/lib/python/bsddb/__init__.py", line 285, in hashopen
    e = _openDBEnv()
  File "/home/csoft/suse90/lib/python/bsddb/__init__.py", line 339, in _openDBEnv
    e.open('.', db.DB_PRIVATE | db.DB_CREATE | db.DB_THREAD | db.DB_INIT_LOCK | db.DB_INIT_MPOOL)
bsddb._db.DBError: (135879120, 'Unknown error 135879120')