List:       openorb-users
Subject:    RE: [openorb-users] org.omg.CORBA.NO_MEMORY in Notification Servi
From:       Lars.Kuehne () ppi ! de
Date:       2004-10-01 9:52:35

> My app has reported a 'CORBA.NO_MEMORY' exception when
> invoking the 'push_structured_event' method of
> ProxyPushConsumer in the Notification Service (openorb
> 1.3.0). (The 'push_structured_event' method is called
> periodically; 512 MB is allocated for the service.)
> There doesnt seem to be any indication that a problem
> occurred in the service before the exception is
> thrown.  Can anyone please help me with the ff:
>
> 1. Are there operations in the Notification Service
> that could create objects which may choke up the
> service?

All sorts of things could have happened. The events can basically have
arbitrary size, and they are stored in-memory.

In 1.3 there was a problem when clients just went down without unregistering
- the server never took down the corresponding proxies in that situation, so
if you run the server long enough that will add up. Can you reproduce the
problem with the current nightly builds?

> 2. Is there a way to determine which objects are
> hogging the memory (so we could, if possible, clean
> them up)?

No, not specifically for the NotificationService - the only way to know is
to use a memory profiler like OptimizeIt, JProfiler, etc.

Lars