List:       openorb-users
Subject:    Re: [openorb-users] (no subject)
From:       lakuehne () t-online ! de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_K=FChne?=)
Date:       2004-04-27 19:59:45

Björn Eilers wrote:

>2. Also, with ORBD, I only need to start the ORBD binary with the same
>   parameters. OpenORB however seems to start a new ORB each time
>   orb.init() is called (or have I got that wrong?).

No, that is correct, and it is mandated by the spec of
ORB.init(String[], Properties) - I assume that is what you mean by
ORB.init().

> So how do I tell
>   OpenORB to use an orb running on another server and not start a new
>   instance?

Not sure I understand your question...

I don't have any experience with orbd (have only read the docs), but it
seems that the JDK orbd provides a combination of a NamingService, an
Implementation Repository, and maybe several other things.

When you read something about ORBs, always ask yourself what particular
meaning the word has in that context, as different people use the word
"ORB" with different meanings. You seem to be used to the meaning "the
whole stuff that sits on the server and that clients can connect to",
and I recall vaguely that's how the Sun docs are written (?). Other
people (including myself) usually mean "an instance of the class
org.omg.CORBA.ORB", and I think that's how most of the openorb docs are
written.

The ORB instances talk to each other over the network, they basically
translate method calls from the application to the network protocol and
vice versa. So, to answer your question, there is no way for an
application to use an orb on another server - it needs to be in the
local JVM, because otherwise there is nothing that can translate the
application's method calls (which are local calls in the JVM) to a
network byte stream.

Maybe I misunderstood your question and you were asking something
completely different?

>3. Is there any possibility to start the naming service together with
>   the ORB?

You can start the naming service (and the other services that OpenOrb
provide, like the notification service) in the same process/JVM as your
server code. OpenORB services use the Apache Avalon component model.
Basically to start a service in your application code you instantiate
the Service class and take it through the Avalon lifecycle methods
(configure(), initialize(), etc.). For a code example take a look at the
source code of the org.openorb.tns.Server class and the ServerBase class
it is derived from.

Cheers, and all the best with your thesis,
Lars