List:       openorb-devel
Subject:    RE: [openorb-devel] feedback on native module
From:       "Rumpf Michael" <Michael.Rumpf () encorus ! com>
Date:       2004-01-27 13:52:31

> > > 6) Should we open a feature request against the Java spec to allow
> > > implementing deserialization without native code? If so, are
> > > there better
> > > channels to the JDK dev team than the Sun bugparade (where
> > > such a request is
> > > likely to be ignored until after JDK 1.5 has been released)?
> >
> > That is a good idea! That would free us from the hassle
> > finding hooks to the JDK internal implementation each time a
> > new release comes out...
>
> It usually takes weeks before some request is even evaluated on the
> bugparade, and that means it will be too late for 1.5.
>
> Michael, if your company has the JDK source license, do you
> have better
> channels into Sun than the bugparade?

Unfortunately we don't have better support. The company is too small for any special \
treatment ;) I'm also not sure whether we get Sun to adding the methods we need. If \
they are publicly available, everyone could circumvent the VM access control \
modifiers. A final member could be set via this API and the defined contract will not \
be valid anymore.

I will try to contact the guys from the OMG RMI-IIOP RTF and see what their opinion \
is on this topic (I will cc openorb-devel).

Michael