List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Mandrake Linux 10.0
From:       Matt Needles <needlesm () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2004-08-10 3:55:45

RonKZ wrote:
<snip>
> I am currently running XPhome  on a PII-300 w/256mb, 40gb c plus 20gb d:
> with some data but no OS installed, 36xCD and 32xCDRW, both on Mandrakes OK
> list.  Computer is, yes a bit slow, but runs sweet without problems.  Since
> my original botched attempt at installation both HD's are reformatted with
> NTFS, and I've not attempted to install Linux since.  Three questions:
>
> 1.  Is there some problem using NTFS with Linux.  If so, what to do?

My limited experience with Linux has shown me that the newest distros
have a read-only NTFS driver, which works quite well to get data from a
WinNT/2k/XP formatted disk onto the ext2/ext3 file system.

> 2.  I "think" I want to set up my drive d: with Linux.  That's mostly
> because I'm afraid of things going wrong w/dual boot installation, and I
> "don't need that!".  But I have never seen nor done dual boot, & would have
> to re-partition and am uncomfortable trying that with everything all set up
> and all my data on my main c: drive, now reading 37+gb, 26gb free.  Counsel?

This is where I have had nothing but trouble.  I have NEVER been able to
setup dual-booting with Linux and WinXP.  I only disconnect my Windows
HDD and install Linux on the other one,  then reconnect the Windows HDD
and use it under Linux.  If you do it any other way, my experience says
you lose ability to boot Windows completely, even from a bootable NT
diskette that will point to any HD Windows NT/2K/XP boot partition (I
can show you how to make one of those, if you need it)

> 3.  What would cause "kernel panic" referencing cannot read CD-ROM?  Is
> there something in bios I should reset?  (This has occurred with *four*
> different CD-ROMs which all otherwise work just fine in windoze).

I've experience this several times, too, and cannot figure it out.

> I have made a linux floppy bootdisk, and can set bios to boot to CD-ROM, but
> both boot modes consistently produced past failures, among which was that
> sometimes it would boot to XP despite bios settings with "none" primary &
> boot to CD-ROM.

> Also one secondary question - I'm now using OO1.1.2 for windows, and believe
> the CD package contains something a bit older.  Is it better to (try to)
> skip the OO installation and then dl/install 1.1.2 for linux, or will it
> upgrade without a hassle?  At least the one time I managed to install this
> package it came up running with my DSL, so that part wasn't a problem!

I've tried both ways.  I prefer to install the one included in the
disto, then install the latest version myself, removing the earlier one
when I'm sure I've got the later one right.

> Please help me escape M$!

I think the method I detailed above (#2) will help you escape from MS, a
bit awkwardly at first, but it does work.