List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Installation of OO in parallel to Ms Office failed
From:       Matt Needles <needlesm () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2004-08-08 17:04:54

G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 04:52, Peter Kolada wrote:
>
>>Madam or Sir,
>>
>>after reading the following statement published on your website:
>>
>>You can of course continue to use your old Microsoft Office files without
>>any problems - and if you need to exchange files with people still using
>>Microsoft Office, that's no problem either.
>

> This is true.
>

>>I downloaded the English version of OpenOffice and installed it on my PC for
>>trial purposes. However, when I worked with an Excel file, Open Office acted
>>as usurper and converted the Excel workbook into an OpenOffice file against
>>my volition. I was unable to continue working with Excel, and my system
>>running under Windows 2000 got blocked. I had to reboot my system, using F8,
>>to remove OpenOffice and the Java 2 Runtime Environment which had impaired
>>the function of my PC.
>>

> Of course, it did as you might expect. OOo has its own file format which
> it prefers. However it does allow saving in other external/foreign
> formats via the File > Save as dialogue. So you has lost nothing. Reopen
> your saved file and use Save as to save the file in whatever format you
> want. For example, Microsoft Excel 95 (.xls, ,xlt).
>

>>Request guidance on 1. how to install OpenOffice in parallel with MS Office,
>>and
>

> This is covered in the SETUP_GUIDE.pdf that is part of the download
> image or available on-line at http://documentation.openoffice.org/ There
> is also a number of howtos and a user guide(draft) on this site as well.
>

>> 2. which Java Runtime Environment to use. I found the SUN website pretty
>>confusing since I wasn't sure which Java package to download. Your
>>assistance will be appreciated.
>>

> Java requirement are described on the download page in the Java section.
> For ease of use please see
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_11.html

And, if you need a bit more clarification, let me suggest you follow
this train:  The latest JRE is J2SE 1.4.2_05.  The site
http://java.sun.com is the starting place, and you'll have to navigate
through several pages before you actually get to your download.  Use the
"Offline Installation" download, which will store the full installer on
your system, so you can run it at your convenience.  It's about 13MB, if
I remember correctly.