List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    RE: I want to uninstall OpenOffice from my computer!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-06-12 14:17:53

David Balazic wrote:

>> From:        Jim Kelleher[SMTP:jimk@jps.net]
>> Ricardo Bonner wrote:
>>
>> >Will somebody please tell me how to uninstall (OpenOffice) from my
>> computer.  I tried the software and am not pleased with it.  You
>> don't provide a uninstaller and when I try to uninstall from (Add and
>> Remove Programs) I get a winzip window asking me where do I want to
>> install the
>> program.  This situation is like some sort of spyware that is locked
>> on my system and want uninstall,
>> >
>> >Is this what your company is about.  Even shareware and minor
>> >software
>> programs provide UNINSTALLERS.
>> >
>> >Please reply and tell me how to uninstall your software.  I have
>> >checked
>> your website and all through the software folders and see no
>> reference to this operation.
>> >
>> >I though you were one of the good ones out there to provide a
>> >powerful
>> software program like OpenOffice but I guest it turns out that your
>> company is as cut-throat as the rest of the malicious sofrtware
>> companies out there.
>> >
>> >You have truly made me lose respect for what you clain to stand for!
>> >
>> >Contact me with Uninstall Instructions at:
>> >rbonner@cinci.rr.com
>> >R Bonner
>> >

>> No OpenOffice is NOT spywhare or anything of the kind.
>> The first thing that must be done is turn off the quickstarter in
>> your system tray.
>> The little seagulls, Righ click on it and select "Quit"
>> Then you sould be able to use the Add / remove to remove Open Office.
>> The other way is still turn off the quickstarter Then go into the
>> installed directory and run Set up  and select Remove.
>>
> Why doesn't the setup.exe turn off the quickstarter itself, when
> needed ?
>
> Besides , here is my story (windows 2003):
>  - installe OOo 1.1.1 german ( normal )
>  - did not work well, so I decided to install it the
>  server/workstation
> scenario
>  - forgot to deinstall the old installation
>  - installed ( setup -net ) OOo into same directory
>  - tried to deinstall it : did not work. No matter if I try Control
>  Panel/
> Add/Remove Programs or run
>   the setup.exe directly, it only offers me to repair it, but not
>   deinstall.
>  - then I performed a user setup ( run setup exe an non-admin, select
> Workstation install ( the one
>    that copies less files ).
>  - then I could finally uninstall it.
>
> I find this weird. Why did I have to do an user install before I could
> unistall it ? That does not make
> sense.

Makes as much sense as clicking on "Start" to turn "off" a computer.
If your program is not working, then you did something wrong when you
installed it (what I cannot imagine unless you got a corrupted download
-- bet you didn't try md5sum to verify as the download page suggests).

But that's another tale.

>> I am sorry you did not like Open Office personally I find it a very
>> good program.
>>
> I hate the picture handling :-(

What exactly is the problem?  If it's not done right, we really would
like to hear about it, as that's how the program gets improved.  A lot
of those image and inserted graphics problems will be fixed in the 2.0
release, scheduled for the first quarter of 2005.  You might try again
next year and see if the changes address your problem (also the install
- uninstall process will be much simplified).

--
Robert Black Eagle