List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: formula in text
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-06-02 16:28:10

Diane Mackay wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:15:15 +0200, Pawel Sawicki wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>> I have noticed, that strange things happen with formula inserted into
>> the text. For example something simple like: p_k + g_k looks exactly
>> like it should (that means nice) in the separate formula editor (in
>> the view window of course), but the same 'code' gives different
>> output when inserted into the text. The 'k' index is much more
>> distant from p then from g so it looks bad. When replacing 'p' with
>> 'g', its corresponding 'k' index jumps back to its normal close
>> position. It looks like every charakter has its own different space
>> separating it from its possible index (upper or lower). When 'g' is
>> replaced with 'P' (uppercase) it turns even more weird - the distance
>> between + and P becomes extremely long! One important note: things
>> happens the way I described with default font, that is italic Times
>> New Roman. Please, Let just anyone try it out! I use OOo 1.1.1.
>
> Hi Pawel,
>
> I am betting that you are seeing a font issue, and maybe it will go
> away if you select another font. I do not have Times New Roman
> available, so I cannot test it. X11 type fonts (is that the right
> terminology?) sometimes have issues like the one you describe.
> Bitstream Vera Sans is a nice font that comes with OOo and tends not
> to show the issues some fonts show. There is a family of bitstream
> vera fonts. Some sizes are missing though, so some folks do not use
> them. But you could try changing fonts as a test. I do not see the
> issue you describe. I also run a different version of OOo...
>
> Diane

Using XFree86 (if that is what you are using) will cause problems with
Mac fonts (such as Times) in OOo.  I'm not sure what workarounds other
programs use, but I am now gun-shy about Times and use either an
equivalent Bitstream Vera font or Times New Roman.  By the way, Lycoris
(www.lycoris.com) has a very large selection of Bitstream Vera fonts
for the lowest prices I have seen for foundary fonts.

--
Robert Black Eagle