List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Large paragraphs in OOo
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-06-02 16:52:57

Jim Higson wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 June 2004 14:53, Daniel Carrera wrote:
>> Jim Higson wrote:
>> > Maybe you should post to the dev list, and ask them to cahnge it to
>> > a 32-bit int, which would be good for about 4 billion chars
>> > (enough!). For anyone familiar with the source this should be
>> > doable in no time. It would hardly take up any extra RAM, and since
>> > most computers these days are at least 32 bit machines the program
>> > wouldn't really be slower.
>>
>> I wouldn't venture out to say how easy or hard it might be.  For
>> example,
>> changing the row limit was extrememly non-trivial.  It took a lot of
>> work. The developers would have to find every instance of the
>> paragraph size on
>> the OOo source code.  Furthermore, if the old StarOffice format
>> dependeds
>> on that particular value that means that we'd need new filters.  In
>> fact, the old StarOffice format was one of the things that slowed
>> down the increase in the row limit.
>>
>> I'm sure that changing the paragraph limit would be easier than the
>> row
>> limit.  But I don't want to say that it's easy without knowing the
>> sources.
>
> Point taken. With a bit of luck it is #typedef'ed (my C's rusty so I'm
> not sure this is the right term) and a change could be done in theory
> to just one line.

I've read through all the posts on this and not one person mentioned
that it's the subject of an existing issue (don't know but a simple
search will turn up the issue number).  It has come up several times
and, to my knowledge, is being worked on.  I may be wrong about the
last, so see if you can find it and add your additional information to
the issue.  That sometimes gets developers working on it.

--
Robert Black Eagle