List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: appneding files.?
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-05-31 22:42:08

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> James Elliott wrote:
>
>> To print off the whole manuscript with pages numbered 1 - whatever,
>> is there any convenient way of either:
>>
>> 1. combining all the files into on very large file before numbering
>> the pages;
>> --- or ---
>> 2. numbering each chapter so that when they are printed out the
>> numbering is appropriate ... for example if there are 33 pages in
>> Chapter 1, I would need to number the first page of Chapter 2 as page
>> 33?
>>
>> I would be obliged for any suggestions on the best way to tackle this
>> matter.
>
> Try using master documents.  In a master document you can "insert" the
> files in the document, without actually increasing the file size.
> I'm not sure how they work, it's some sort of linking.
>
> In any event, Jean Weber has written a book called "Taming
> OpenOffice.org" which covers master documents.
>
> http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/
>
> You can either get it as a hard copy or as a PDF file.  The book is
> very affordable ($10).  Best of all, you can download and see the book
> before purchase.  If you decide to keep it, you are on your honour to
> pay for it.

I would guess that you have the pagination reset in the first page of
each document, otherwise OOo automatically paginates the entire
document.  If you have a manual page break before each sub-document and
reset the pagination (anything other than "0") or set the "page break
before" and reset the page numbering in your definition of the Chapter
Heading style, you will get what you describe.  Please review these in
the template to make sure you are not resetting pagination with each
document.

--
Robert Black Eagle