List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Text Document
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-05-30 6:29:48

shane c branch wrote:

> Daniel Carrera wrote:
>> Mark Moran wrote:
>>> Is there a place to download individual packages such as the Text
>>> Document portion of the program without the other pieces, My English
>>> professor often has students that don't have MS Word at home. If he
>>> could give these students a CD with just word to keep it simple to
>>> install it would be a big help to him.. If you have any suggestions,
>>> please reply to me. disccomp@hotmail.com
>>
>> Hello Mark,
>>
>> We don't provide idividual package installs.  But for your purpose,
>> you don't need one.
>>
>> OpenOffice.org is a single program, unlike MS Office which is several
>> programs sold together.  You install OpenOffice.org just once, and
>> that one
>> installation will provide all packages.  It's all done together.  So
>> sepparating the components would not make installation any easier.
>> It would actually make it more complex.
>>
>> Just a quick note.  Your email says "if he could give tehse students
>> a CD
>> with just word...".  I'd like to point out that "Word" is a program
>> of
>> Microsoft Office.  That's not what OpenOffice.org provides.
>> OpenOffice.org provides an alternative top-notch office suite, which
>> is capable of reading and writing MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint files.
>>
>> It would be great if your professor handed out OpenOffice.org CDs.
>> OpenOffice.org is an excellent option to students.  In terms of
>> features, it
>> is a very even match with MS Office.  But in terms of price... :-)
>> It's
>> hard to beat "free".  Furthermore the students themselves would be
>> free to
>> make their own copies and pass them around to their friends and
>> family.  And since there are no restrictions on the use of
>> OpenOfffice.org (e.g. personal, business, etc) this would be a
>> permanent gain.
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> Adding to what Daniel said, though OO does not come in individual
> applications, if may choose to install only writer if you prefer. This
> option is available in the installation wizard, just unselect the
> portions you do not want to install.

For fun, I uninstalled 1.1.2rc2 and then reinstalled it and looked at
the space taken up by each component.  If a student has limited
resources, it is true that quite a bit of space can be saved by loading
only the Writer features, but that "quite a bit of space" is tiny
compared to most hard drives sold over the past seven years.  So far,
I've not seen any system without sufficient space unless the IE cache
or temporary files were simply allowed to accumulate without cleaning
them out from time to time (and that happened to a self-styled
"computer guru.").

--
Robert Black Eagle