List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Re: Complicated Calc lookup question
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2004-05-29 7:05:46

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> James Plante wrote:
>
>> Maybe I just don't understand the problem. I will assume that you're
>> getting the spreadsheet of 250 kid's names from an MS Excel SS
>> provided by the office. The office doesn't have OOo, and you do. The
>> office doesn't have a DB. Why don't you DL MySQL and install it on
>> your machine? You can save the SS to a CSV file and import it into
>> MySQL. Set it up as a data source. With a little tinkering, you can
>> turn that into a relational database.
>
> This question has already been answerd, and more than once.
>
> How is this any better than coyping and pasting between files every
> time the
> list of kids gets updated?  The OP has already said several times that
> installing a database is not an option and people here keep replying
> that he should install a database.

Daniel, I agree, but he presents a database issue and doesn't want a
database.  I assume he has OOo (otherwise why post here) and I know
that Calc can do some awesome statistical calculations with little
work.

In point of fact, he has a database problem.  Solution: for a database
problem -- get a database.  Lucky for him, however, for the kind he's
asking about, he doesn't need to buy or download one -- he can use a
Calc file for his database.  It's easy, fast and efficient for this
kind of work.

--
Robert Black Eagle